A few weeks ago, I went with my friend to shop for baking supplies. I really don't think it is a common thing that friends will do together right? shopping together at baking supply stores?? Most of my friends hardly even cook! Besides sharing notes and tips, we could even share ingredients! We bought these very cute looking orange candies from one of the stores, without having any idea what we are going to do with them. Since Chinese New Year is approaching, I thought I could make something to fit the festive mood.
After browsing through several cookbooks, I came out with the idea of making these triple orange cupcakes. The cakes are made with orange juice and zest, glazed with a thin layer of orange icing and finally topped with the orange candies. I followed the ingredients based on a vanilla cupcake from the cookbook, "Gorgeous Cakes" by Annie Bell. I added in orange juice and zest to the recipe to give the orange flavour. I didn't follow the steps stated in the recipe, instead I used the usual creaming method that I would for cakes and muffins. The cupcakes turn out to be very nice...the texture is just right...soft, crumbly, just like a butter cake. The boys had a good time licking up the icing and candies!
(makes 8 cupcakes)
110g butter, softened at room temperature
110g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
110g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon orange juice
Icing: 50g icing sugar, 1 ~ 2 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Place butter, sugar and orange zest in a mixing bowl. Whisk with an electric mixer till mixture becomes white and fluffy.
- Add in eggs gradually and whisk until well combined after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder, add to the butter mixture and stir with a spatula gently. Add in the orange juice and stir till just incorporated.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 17 to 20 mins. Remove and leave to cool.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar and blend with the orange juice. (Blend in the orange juice a little at a time to achieve the desired consistency). Smooth a heaped teaspoon of icing on each cake, but don't worry about completely covering. Top with candied oranges. Leave to set for about 1 hour.