Tuesday 23 January 2007

Almond Tuiles


I have been wanting to make almond tuiles for a long time. I finally gave it a try yesterday. The recipe looks simple enough as it is not required to roll the tuiles. Well, making the batter is sure quick and easy, the tricky part is the baking. I didn't bake the first batch long enough, as such, they were not very crispy. I returned them into the oven to bake for another 5 more mins, and they turned dark brown :(

These biscuits absorb moisture very fast, so once cool, they have to be stored in airtight containers right away.

Ingredients:
(makes around 22 tuiles)

80g caster sugar
40g butter
1 whole egg
1 egg white
40g cake flour
10g corn flour
150g almond flakes

Method:
  1. Melt butter and sugar over low heat. Stir till sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
  2. Add in egg, egg white and stir with a whisk to mix well.
  3. Sift cake flour and corn flour. Add to mixture. Whisk till well incorporated.
  4. Add in almond flakes, stir with a spatula.
  5. Scoop a spoonful of mixture onto a greased baking tray (or lined with parchment paper). Spread into a thin layer with a fork. The mixture should be around 6cm in diameter.
  6. Bake in middle rack of a pre-heated oven at 170 degC for 10-15mins or until golden brown.
  7. Remove tuiles from tray when it is still hot. Let cool on wire rack. Once cool, store immediately in airtight containers, otherwise the biscuits will absolve moisture in the air and will not be crispy.

12 comments:

Anne said...

I'm jealous :) you really make good cookies. Wish I could mprove myself on that aspect :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Anne
Thanks for the compliment, but I am still a novice...very far from good! There's still so much to learn and experiment. Read your last post, hope your child is well by now. I understand how stressful it is when kids fall sick!!

My FoodPrints said...

Hi, your Almond Tuiles look nice. I baked Almond Tuiles once and mine got stuck on the parchment paper. So sad.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi my foodprints, thanks for dropping by :)

It's kind of difficult to make almond tuiles, although the ingredients and method is so simple right?!

My FoodPrints said...

Hi, you also find it difficult? I thought I was inexperienced so I had trouble with the Almond Tuiles. I'll try baking it again but dunno when. :P

Happy Homebaker said...

It was the 1st time I tried making tuiles. I am still a novice. Read your blog...your cakes look delicious! I have yet to pick up the courage to frost a cake, though I already have a pack of whipping cream sitting in the fridge ;)
are u a stay-at-home mum as well?

San San said...

Hi Happy Homebaker,

Gong Xi Fa Cai! =)

I would love to try this Almond Tuiles but wonder if I can bake it using a Toaster Oven?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Melody, I'm sorry I'm not sure whether this can be done with a toaster oven, you can give it a try, but do check the temperature and shorten the baking time, as I think the temperature for toaster oven is on the high side.

San San said...

Thanks Happy Homebaker! =) I'll give it a try one day..hehe

Anonymous said...

happyhomebaker, can i hav the recipe for the cookie on the cookie recipe page? the 1st pic from left..the rose-shaped cookie..thank you :D

- B

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, I have added the link, please click on "Melting Moments" under the cookies recipe page.

Anonymous said...

Your tuilles look a bit thicker than the norm but I'm sure they still taste good