Thursday 18 January 2007

Give me one more!


When we were out shopping for groceries the other day, my 5-year old squealed with delight when he saw a row of jelly crystals on the supermarket shelves. He loves jelly. He used to chant this jelly commercial jingle that goes: "Give me one, give me one, give me one more!" I promised him that I will make him some jelly puddings this week. I made him orange puddings today.

I used the recipe that was meant for mango puddings. I was not able to find any mangoes in the nearby fruit stalls these few days. They seem to disappear overnight! This recipe was given to me by my friend many years ago. You will be surprised at how simple it is to make delicious mango puddings! I replaced the mango chunks with orange chunks, and used a orange flavoured jelly crystals. The orange puddings turn out just as good, although I would still prefer the mango ones :)

Here's the recipe for the mango puddings.

Ingredients:
(makes 9 jelly cups)

1 packet of Jelly Crystals (pineapple flavour)
1 cup of boiling water
1 can of Carnation Evaporated Milk (Full cream)
1 mango, cut into small chunks

Method:

Pour a cup of hot boiling water into a bowl, stir in the jelly crystals making sure the crystals dissolved completely. Add in the can of evaporate milk. Stir in the mango chunks. Mix well. Spoon into jelly cups. Chill in fridge to set.

That's it, as simple as that!

Tip: There is no mango flavoured jelly crystals, so the closest is the pineapple flavour. After filling the jelly cups, use a teaspoon to remove air bubbles which will form on the surface, otherwise there will be unsightly bubbles on the surface of the pudding when set.

20 comments:

Anne said...

your pudding pics looks really nice :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks Anne for your encouragement! I am still learning how to take nice food photos.

Eric said...

Those puddings look quite fun to make. I have seen mango jelly crystals before (although this was in Toronto, so that probably doesn't help much). It was a Halal brand, so if there are any Muslim shops where you live you might be able to find some. (Not to mention they also had other exciting flavours like lychee).

San San said...

hi happy homebaker,

I found mango flavor jelly at Giant. Maybe can try getting from there. =)

cheers,
melody

Happy Homebaker said...

Melody, oh really! I will keep a look out for it when I next visit Giant. Thanks so much for the info!

San San said...

Hi happy homebaker,

I realised those jelly packet comes in different weight. Can you pls advice you are using the small packet or the big one which is in a square box type.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Melody, I usually use this brand "Tortally" which is 90g a pack. Hope this helps :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

May I know why the jelly crystals required is pineapple flavoured and not mango? Thanks! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh and may I know how much is your 1 cup of boiling water? (:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Mango Fan, I cup of boiling water is 250ml. Since there is no mango flavoured jelly crystals for this brand (which I usually use), I use pineapple flavour to subsitute.

Anonymous said...

May i kno if there is any substitue other than evapourated milk???

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi mushroom, I am not sure, but maybe you can take a look at other recipes...eg this one here (http://wlteef.blogspot.com/2007/12/shf38-aloe-vera-mango-pudding.html). It uses whipping cream (dairy). Sorry, I'm not much help here.

Anonymous said...

I love jelly pudding of any flavour. Tried this recipe today. To my suprise, when i pour the cream into the jelly, the jelly went lumpy. Oh no.. do you know what i have done wrong? Thanks

Gunners

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Gunners,
Did you use evaporated milk or cream? I suspect it could be due to the difference in temperature of the jelly and the cream you used. Was your jelly hot and your cream cold from fridge? If that's the case, when the cold cream is added to the warm jelly, the gelatin will start to set, resulting in the lumps. When I made these, the evaporated milk was in room temperature and the jelly was warm/hot and I didn't had this problem.

Anonymous said...

I used evaporated milk. I think you are right... the evaporated milk must be too cold as compare to the jelly so when i poured in the milk, the jelly set immediately. I guess next time i need to warm the milk a bit before adding it the jelly. Thank you your advice!

Gunners

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Homemaker,

I tried your Mango Pudding receipe today using the Giant 120 gm Mango
Jelly Pudding, it did'nt set even
after 2 hours in the fridge.

The taste was fubulous except that it is very watery, I wish to try again, this time using the 90 gm Totality Pineapple favour, 90gm.
I use the 140 gm (1 cans) Carnation Evaporated Milk (Full Cream). Is this correct?
Please advise and thank you,.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, yes I used the one can of Carnation evaporated milk. I am not sure what went wrong, but even for the Totality jelly crystals, it will take more than 2 hrs to set...usually it will take more than 6 hrs, I always let it set over night. Hope this helps.

erica said...

Hi Happy Homebaker

I'm interested to try out yr mango pudding, i saw mango flavoured konnyaku powder in Giant, but not the jelly crystal. Can i use the konnyyaku powder instead? Tks!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Erica, sorry, I have not used konnyyaku powder, I am not sure whether the texture will be different.

erica said...

Hi Happy Homebaker

ok, i'd let u knw if i do try using the konnyaku powder :)