Thursday 4 January 2007

Going Bananas


When I first rekindled my love for baking, i.e. since the day I bought my little oven, I started off baking simple cookies and quickbread. This is the first Banana Bread I have baked.


With 2 pairs of helping hands, I was able to produce these 2 lovely loaves. I like to involve my children in my baking sessions. It's simply fun to have them around. My elder boy will read out the recipe and help me with the weighing of the ingredients, while the younger one will help stir and mash up the bananas. The elder brother will always keep an eye on the younger one...to make sure he stirs the batter in one direction and adds in the eggs gradually. Since we made this banana bread, the little one has been declared the "official banana masher" in our kitchen.

This recipe is taken from Betty Crocker's website. The bread is very tasty and moist but I do find it a bit too sweet. Since it was my first attempt, I followed the recipe to a T. Will definitely cut down on the sugar next time. If the bread is not eaten fresh, it is best slightly toasted/heated again before serving.

Ingredients:
(makes two 8 inch loaves)

110g butter, softened @ room temperature
250g sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 to 4 medium bananas (meshed)
Half cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
350g all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired

Method:


  1. Move oven rack to low position so that top of loaf pan will be in the centre of the oven. Preheat oven to 180 degC. Grease bottoms (only) of two 8x4 inch loaf pans or one 9x5 inch loaf pan.

  2. Mix sugar and butter still creamy and fluffy. Stir in eggs gradually until well blended. Stir in bananas, yogurt and vanilla essence, beat until smooth.

  3. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts, if desired.

  4. Pour batter into loaf pan(s). Bake 8 inch loaves for about 1 hour, 9 inch loaf for about 1 hour 15 mins; or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.

  5. Remove from oven and let the loaf cool for 10 mins in the pan. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack before slicing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE banana bread.

Anonymous said...

Have you reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe already?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi I didn't reduce the sugar.