Thursday 22 February 2007

Quick & Easy Fried Vermicelli aka Fried Bee Hoon

I usually cook simple one-dish meals for lunch as there are only the 3 of us. I am really fortunate that my 2 boys are not picky eaters. They eat whatever I cook. A few weeks ago, I made them fried noodles which tasted like rubber-bands, and yet, without any complaints, they finished up whatever that were in their plates. I told myself I really have to brush up on my cooking soon.

This fried bee hoon with stewed pork ribs, is one of the few better dishes that I could manage. I once ate this dish at my MIL's place, and from the ingredients, I figured out my own version.


I know fried bee hoon is one of the simplest local asian dish that any good cook would not deem it fit to even mention it. However, for an inexperienced cook like me, it took me a few attempts before I got the taste right. Thanks to the encouragement and support from my two little ones!

This is a rather straight forward dish as you simply need to fry the bee hoon with cabbage, carrots and canned stewed pork ribs. It can be ready in 30mins. In fact, the preparation time could be shorter, if not for my poor cutting & chopping skills ;)

What you need:
(serves 3 ~ 4)

1/2 packet bee hoon/vermicelli
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 carrot
1/2 chinese cabbage (small)
1 can stewed pork ribs
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp light soy sauce

Method:
  1. Soak bee hoon in cold water for about 10 to 15 mins.
  2. Peel carrot and rinse cabbage. Cut into shreds
  3. Remove any excess fat from the canned stewed pork ribs. Remove the bones and tear the pork ribs into shreds. Retain the sauce.
  4. Fry eggs till done. Cut into shreds and set aside.
  5. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok till hot. Stir fry carrot and cabbage till soft. Add in stewed pork ribs with the sauce, stir in salt, soy sauce and 1 cup of water. Bring to boil.
  6. Add in drained bee hoon. Toss and stir gently till sauce is fully absorbed by the bee hoon. Serve garnished with egg shreds.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just to let you know I enjoy reading your blog. Your fried mee hoon looks delicious! May I know which brand of mee hoon did you buy? My fried mee hoon is never as "thin" as yours. I prefer "thin" mee hoon.

From
Xuan

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Xuan, thanks for your kind comments! I'm sorry, I don't really take note of the brand name...I go by the two red chillies printed on the packaging, haha...it could be Tai Sun? If you like real thin bee hoon, you will need to try the Heng Hwa bee hoon :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Read ur Heng Hua mee sua post earlier on, ur this bee hoon reminds mi of the heng hua bee hoon my dad cooks. But definately as compared, heng hua bee hoon taste much more tasty than chill brand bee hoon.
Oh ya, i'm also a heng hua & i love heng hua food. Yummy....
u can try the golden boy brand of dried heng hua bee hoon fm supermarket.
its been out of stock for quite sometimes, but luckily they replenish stocks again.

Sil said...

Hi, I really love the photos on your blog....may i know what the can of the stewed pork ribs look like, or maybe just let me know the brand....thx.

Sil said...

Hi, may i know what the brand of the canned pork ribs is?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Sil, I used the brand "Narcissus". You can take a look at this site for the picture: (http://www.yithong.com/html/nar.html)

Nat said...

You make a simple fried beehoon dish looks so yummy! Will definitely try this and maybe add some dried chinese shitake too.