Sunday 11 February 2007

Blueberry Muffins


This is the first time I bought blueberries from the supermarket. It has never occurred to me to eat this fruit as it is not as common as strawberries or even cherries. I bought them specially to bake blueberry muffins. I've came across several blueberry muffin recipes but have never had the chance to try it.

I made this batch of muffins for breakfast this morning. The recipe is adapted from Annie Bell's Gorgeous Cakes, Plum Muffins. I took this recipe as it's the only recipe where I have all the ingredients on hand. The muffins lack the fragrance and sweetness as compared to the banana-raisin oat bran muffins I made the other day. They tasted rather "plain and simple", if not for the vanilla essence I added. The blueberries were sweet, and although they were rather small berries, they were quite juicy. Judging from the "nil" comments or lack of enthusiaism from my kids, I believe I'll have to try out other recipes. Nevertheless, these muffins are certainly soft and moist and went very well with a cup of coffee.

Ingredients:
(makes 6 big muffins)

225g flour
75g sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
30g butter, melted
1 egg
200ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup fresh blueberries

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degC.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. In another bowl, whisk the egg, then add in the milk and butter. Mix well.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
  5. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into muffin cups/liners and bake for 20 to 25mins, or until risen and lightly browned.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think they are great and easy to make especially for kids and they taste great too.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi anonymous, thanks for your comments :)

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB

I forgot where I posted my comment and I think you replied already. Now, I can't find your reply...Haha! silly me! It's about a Milk Pan I bought in Provence, HV. I wanted to show the photos I took for the pan but I didn't know how to post on flickr....Remember me? I just want to know how to post on flickr...

BTW, are you gonna put Ladies' kisses recipe online? I want to try with my daughter...They look yummy! : )

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, yes you have posted the comment under the posting "Japanese Melon Pan". I will be posting the Ladies Kisses recipe within these couple of days :)

Anonymous said...

I can relate to your sharing bcos I have this problem too with blueberry muffin. I guess the fruit itself is not as flavourful compared to bannana or apple cinnamon. Will prob taste better with dried blueberry

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Lala, I have not tried baking with dried blueberries, will like to give it a try :)

Anonymous said...

are those drinking cups?

Happy Homebaker said...

hi, no they are paper cups for baking.