Thursday 15 February 2007

Oyakudon

Oyakudon is one of the easiest and simplest dinner that I cook for my family. It is one of the Japanese donburi dishes or rice bowl dishes that have meat and vegetables simmered together over rice. It is made of chicken and eggs...and that's how the name "Oyaku" was derived (mother & child in Japanese). I used to think that it means a dish prepared by a mother for her child ;)


I happened to come across this oyakudon ready-made seasoning at the supermarket a few months ago. The cooking instructions are in Japanese...somehow, from the pictures printed at the back of the box, I managed to figure out how to made this dish. It turns out to be a very simple and delicious meal. I topped the oyakudon with some furikake rice seasoning that comes in these cute Cinnamoroll packaging. This is great for busy mummies who want to cook a quick and simple meal for the family.


Ingredients:
(serves 3 ~ 4)

2 chicken drumsticks, de-boned and cut into bite sizes
2 onions, sliced
3 eggs
cooked rice

Here's how you do it:

  1. Stir fry onions with some oil in a saucepan. Add in the chicken and stir fry till the meat turns white.
  2. Add in 1 cup of water and 2 or 3 packets of oyakudon seasoning (one packet is for 1 serving). Let it simmer till chicken is done.
  3. Add in lightly beaten eggs gradually. Once the eggs begin to solidify, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan. The remaining heat will ensure the eggs are just done.
  4. Pour over cooked rice and serve immediately. Top with furikake rice seasoning, or seaweed as desired.

    Here's my version of a simple and yummy oyakudon.


10 comments:

Shannon Er said...

I'm addicted to your blog... hopefully some day I can make more dishes!! You're such a great cook and baker! And I love oyakudon!
I'm from Singapore and am studying here in Brisbane, and so I miss baking with my mum... thankfully my sister recommended me this site and my family started baking your horlick doggies back in Singapore and so did I over here!
Thank you for such and awesome blog, Happy Homebaker!!!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Shannon, thanks for your comments. I am not a good cook at all, and I consider myself a beginner in the area of baking...there are still so much to learn! It must be tough studying abroad, I am sure you miss your mum's homecooked meals.

Unknown said...

I tried cooking this after reading your blog and it taste great!

Sherry said...

Eh?! Oyakodon seasoning? I'm shocked! All it is soy sauce, mirin, sugar and dashi! You don't need a pre-made packet! o.O

Anonymous said...

hey where did you buy the oyakudon seasoning ?

Happy Homebaker said...

I got them at cold storage.

Jessica said...

Hihi.. oh your oyakudon looks great.. just like the one in jap restaurant.. oh which cold storage u went to get the oyakudon seasoning? how come i can't find it.
how abt the furikake rice seasoning that comes in these cute Cinnamoroll packaging? so cute ?

thanks.
jess

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jessica, you can try the cold storage outlet at Bugis Junction, or Ngee Ann City...or the ntuc outlet at Bishan Junction 8. The Cinnamoroll furikake is also available at the cold storage at Bugis Junction.

Anonymous said...

can i reheat the leftovers the next day?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Annoymous, I have not tried, but I don't see a problem with it.