Friday 7 December 2012

Mini Oreo Cheesecake

To my regular visitors, my apologies for the long silence.

To make up for my tardiness in updating this blog, here's a little treat from my kitchen to yours...
mini upside down oreo cheesecakes...



A month ago, I was quite caught up planning for a holiday trip...it was a last minute decision as we almost gave up the idea when we couldn't get on the flight. By chance or fate, (or rather, thanks to my never-give-up attitude of checking the airlines system every other few hours) I managed to get all of us booked on the same flight. As we neither speak or read Korean language, I had to make sure I did a thorough job of getting into the minute details to prevent any hiccups during our trip. My 'strengths' in micro-managing pays off. Everything went well, we got to visit the places we had planned and didn't have much problem finding the popular makan(eating) places. As usual, we were on a shoestring budget, everything was DIY, backpackers style...only difference was, instead of carrying backpacks we maneuvered the busy streets and from train stations to stations with cabin bags in tow ;)


Our holiday trip was a real short one...time flies and in no time we are back to our daily mundane lives :(
In between doing loads after loads of laundry, I took time to 'spot clean' my fridge. Lying in the fridge was this block of cream cheese, crying out loud to me that I was right on time, it would exceed the expiry date the very next day!

Instead of procrastinating and end up having to throw it into the bin the next day, I googled for suitable recipes that calls for cream cheese. I remember seeing some oreo cheesecake recipes some time back, and it was a good thing that the recipe requires very basic baking ingredients, and, I am never short of oreos! The only problem was, I didn't have any sour cream on hand, but I do have yoghurt in the fridge. I went ahead and replaced the sour cream with yoghurt. I guess not much damage was done...


I baked them with paper muffin cups...one whole oreo cookie is placed inside each cup before filling it up with the batter. The preparation was rather fuss free, quick and simple. I followed the baking time but extended it for another couple of minutes as I did the skewer test and the centre was still wet although the top was set. For fear of over baking, I turned off the heat even though the inside was still not set. I believe they would be fully set in the fridge (upon cooling, the cakes have to be chilled in the fridge before consuming).


My little baking retreat was a great success. These mini cheesecakes were really delicious, and I thought they looked very lovely with the oreo cookies on top :)

They are excellent after dinner treats even though I am not an oreo fan, and I am sure they would jazz up any tea time tables especially when there are guests around ;)



Mini Oreo Cheesecakes

Ingredients:
(makes about 10)

15 Oreo cookies (10 leave as whole, 5 remove cream and coarsely chopped)
8oz pack cream cheese, room temperature
50g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
60g sour cream (I replaced with plain yoghurt)

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 135 DegC (275°F).
  2. Place one whole cookie in each of the 10 muffin paper cups (or line muffin tins with paper liners). 
  3. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer (medium high speed) until smooth. 
  4. Add in sugar, beat until just combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
  5. Add in vanilla extract, beat until just combined. 
  6. Gradually drizzle in the egg, beat to combine, scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary. 
  7. Add in sour cream, beat till just combined. 
  8. Add chopped cookies, fold with a spatula. 
  9. Fill each muffin cup almost to the brim. Bake for about 22~25 minutes until the filling is set and not jiggly. Transfer to wire rack, leave to cool completely. Cover or store in airtight containers and leave to refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, remove cake from muffin cups, serve cookies sides up.

Recipe source: adapted recipe from here.







38 comments:

Jujue Ahmad said...

it's look so nice. And i want to share my own made non-bake cheesecake by copy some receipe from 1 blog but i dont know why the cream looks like flaccid. Why it's happend?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i also like free and easy trip, we are able to see more new things along the trip..I could not find mini oreo here, but my blogger friend is going to bring back some for me from Australia, hehehe..

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jujue, not sure what went wrong with your no-bake cake, could it be the gelatine?

Happy Homebaker said...

Sonia, you get to see more on DIY trips. You don't need mini Oreos, these are made with regular sized ones :)

Bakericious said...

HHB, welcome back! Korea, I miss this country so much, hope to be able to visit again soon :D. I baked this similar recipe before, very nice!

PH said...

Glad you had a nice holiday! These mini oreo cheesecakes are so irresistible, I feel like making some this weekend :)

Stephanie said...

This oreo cheesecake looks so pretty, tempted to give it a bite!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! so nice to see you blogging again, I love this recipe - I will be buying a pack of oreos and cream cheese and making these for any unexpected guests over Christmas!

Alice said...

yum yum... i love cheesecake!

Unknown said...

These things look amazing!!!! :)

Larissasjy said...

Hi HHB,

Im baking this now, just to check with you is the batter suppose to be watery & got a few cheese lumps in it? Too long never bake almost forget everything >.<

Thanks alot,

Jiayi

Happy Homebaker said...

Jess, I miss Korea too :)

Phong Hong, I hope you will like this!

Stephanie, I am sure your guests will be wowed by these lovely cakes ;)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jiayi, the batter is smooth (no cheese lumps) before adding in the chopped oreo chunks. The batter is not very thick yet not water. Hope yours turn out well.

Jojo said...

Hi Happy Homebaker,

I have posted a comment on your post "A white christmas"-the recipe of a christmas logcake. I hope you will look at it. Thank you! :)

sherlyn said...

oh I want to make this too. 8oz of cheese is how many grams? google will return 225g.

Cosy Bake said...

such a clever idea!!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jojo, I didnt get your comment on the white christmas log cake. Can you post again?

Hi Sherlyn, just use one whole block of Philadelphia cream cheese, it is 250g or 8oz standard size. Hope you have fun making them with your girl :)

Honey boy, yes, it is really a clever idea! It is amazing that the oreo cookie at the bottom was still in tact after baking ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB...I have baked the cake this morning. YUMMY!. I cut the sugar to 35g...still taste yummy...I think the cake will still soft and wet after bake...once it cool the whole cake will set...will definitely bake again...thanks for sharing.

Emily Koh

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Home Baker,

We're contacting you on behalf of our client for a potential partnership.
We'd love to give you more information and chat more about this, hope to hear from you!

Claudia

lavantalimon said...

Hi very nice:) amazing

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...

These look great and I wish I could have one now!

Regards,
Manju
http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This cheesecake looks delicious! Beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

hello,

lovely cake! may i know where the long and thin candles were purchased? Hopeful for your reply soon.
thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Jess

Actually I can't remember where I bought those candies as I got them long time ago. It is either from Phoon Huat or SKP. These candies actually give off tiny sparks as they burn, quite nice, however, do note that the ashes would drop off onto the cake, so best is to blow them off asap.

Baking Scientist said...

Thanks HHB for this simple and delicious recipe :) I made it yesterday for my friends and they love it! The cheesecake looks like mooncake when it's upside down, don't you think so? :) Btw, how long can I keep this in the fridge (in airtight container)?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Baking Scientist, glad to hear that you have great success with this mini oreo cheesecakes :) I think u can keep them in the fridge in air tight container for 3 or 4 days.

Maria said...

I'm glad to have come across this recipe...it's going straight into my 'to try' recipes!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Maria, thanks for visiting :) Hope you will get to try this out!

YL said...

Hi HHB,

Can I check whether do we use water bath when we put them into the oven for baking?

Thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi YL, water bath is not needed.

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I use this recipe for a whole cake?

Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Hi, may I know which plain yogurt you use? Greek yogurt?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, I think the amount would not be sufficient for a whole cake, unless you are looking at a 6" cake.

Hi, I used Marigold's plain yoghurt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy HomeBaker, I love your blog, as a foodie its an insoiration to read your blog. May I just check with you can I double the recipe to make 20 cheesecakes instead? Can I do it at one go or do separately? Thank you :)

Happy Homebaker said...

You can double the recipe and make at one go, no problem with that, in fact I used 1/4 of the original recipe (refer the link above). Have fun baking and I am sure you will find these mini cheesecakes delicious :)

Unknown said...

My Mind is blown and I am desperate to make this :)

Unknown said...

May I know 8oz of cream cheese is how many grams

Happy Homebaker said...

I use Philadelphia cream cheese which t is about 250g for 1 block (about 8 oz).