I stumbled upon these lovely mini corn dog muffins over at Stephanie's macaroni and cheesecake food blog when I was looking for finger food to prepare for my guests when they came over for a get-together dinner.
Those cute little muffins were baked in mini muffin pans. However, I don't even own a regular muffin pan, let alone mini ones. Since I am not ready to head down to the nearest baking supply shop to get one, I improvised with my usual small paper muffin cups. I did a test batch and the muffins turned out great! While they are not as mini as those featured on Stephanie's blog, they certainly are small enough to serve as finger food. The muffins came out perfect when I removed them from the paper cups. They looked really close to those from the original recipe.
These muffins are the results of an ingenious combination of cornbread with a hotdog bite inserted in the centre, a much healthier version than the regular fried corn dogs. The Bob's Red Mill fine grind cornmeals I used gave the muffins a gritty texture. I pretty enjoy the grainy, nutty texture in each bite but it didn't really appeal to my younger child. He finished up the corn bread portion first and saved the hotdog bite for last (^^"). The muffins are served with ketchup or mustard as dipping sauce, they taste delicious when freshly baked, but you can always made them ahead and store in airtight container in the fridge. Simply warm them in the oven and they will be just as good.
Even though these were perfect finger food, I didn't make any for my year end dinner party. I had to strike it off from my list as there were already more than enough food to serve. However, I did manage to get a chance later on to bake a batch to give away to my baking friend. I am looking forward to baking another batch real soon :)
(makes about 12 small muffins)
65g plain flour
75g yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
50g caster sugar
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
85g plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 hotdogs, cut into 1" size
- Preheat oven to 190 degC.
- Sieve flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add in cornmeal and salt. With a balloon whisk, whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place sugar and melted butter in another mixing bowl, whisk with the ballon whisk to combine. Add in eggs and whisk until incorporated. Add in yoghurt, milk and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl of the dry ingredients. With a spatula, stir the mixture until just incorporated, the batter will appear lumpy, do not over mix.
- Fill each small paper muffin cup with batter to about 3/4 full (about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of batter). Place one hot dog in the center of each muffin cup vertically. Arrange filled muffin cups on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Remove muffins from oven and leave to cool on cooling rack.
- Remove muffins from paper cups. Serve with ketchup or mustard for dipping if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm the muffins in the oven before serving.