Friday 14 February 2014

not so mini


I stumbled upon these lovely mini corn dog muffins over at Stephanie's macaroni and cheesecake food blog when I was looking for finger food to prepare for my guests when they came over for a get-together dinner.



Those cute little muffins were baked in mini muffin pans. However, I don't even own a regular muffin pan, let alone mini ones. Since I am not ready to head down to the nearest baking supply shop to get one, I improvised with my usual small paper muffin cups. I did a test batch and the muffins turned out great! While they are not as mini as those featured on Stephanie's blog, they certainly are small enough to serve as finger food. The muffins came out perfect when I removed them from the paper cups. They looked really close to those from the original recipe.



These muffins are the results of an ingenious combination of cornbread with a hotdog bite inserted in the centre, a much healthier version than the regular fried corn dogs. The Bob's Red Mill fine grind cornmeals I used gave the muffins a gritty texture. I pretty enjoy the grainy, nutty texture in each bite but it didn't really appeal to my younger child. He finished up the corn bread portion first and saved the hotdog bite for last (^^"). The muffins are served with ketchup or mustard as dipping sauce, they taste delicious when freshly baked, but you can always made them ahead and store in airtight container in the fridge. Simply warm them in the oven and they will be just as good.

Even though these were perfect finger food, I didn't make any for my year end dinner party. I had to strike it off from my list as there were already more than enough food to serve. However, I did manage to get a chance later on to bake a batch to give away to my baking friend. I am looking forward to baking another batch real soon :)



Mini Corn Dog Muffins

Ingredients:
(makes about 12 small muffins)

65g plain flour
75g yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
50g caster sugar
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
85g plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 hotdogs, cut into 1" size


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 degC.
  2. Sieve flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add in cornmeal and salt. With a balloon whisk, whisk to combine. Set aside.
  3. Place sugar and melted butter in another mixing bowl, whisk with the ballon whisk to combine. Add in eggs and whisk until incorporated. Add in yoghurt, milk and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl of the dry ingredients. With a spatula, stir the mixture until just incorporated, the batter will appear lumpy, do not over mix.
  5. Fill each small paper muffin cup with batter to about 3/4 full (about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of batter). Place one hot dog in the center of each muffin cup vertically. Arrange filled muffin cups on a baking tray.
  6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Remove muffins from oven and leave to cool on cooling rack.
  7. Remove muffins from paper cups. Serve with ketchup or mustard for dipping if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Warm the muffins in the oven before serving.
Recipe source: adapted from macaroni and cheesecake




29 comments:

Veronica said...

Your corn dog muffins look awesome. Hot dog in a muffin, brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing.

Victoria Bakes said...

i love these... they still look petite to me!

Gloria Fernandes said...

Wow!! such cute looking muffins...looks really yumm

CaThY said...

Looks very good! :)

Anonymous said...

These look really novel, I will definitely be trying them! great idea for a buffet.

KC said...

Hi,are you still using the Fujioh Oven? I thought of getting one with fan, will be most grateful if you could kindly let me know if it is good. Thanks a lot and have a nice day. Karen Chew email: ahfung7@gmail.com

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi KC I am not using fujioh. Mine is bosch.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi, happy to see your post. You have been missing for awhile!
These looks good. Will definitely try it out.

sherlyn said...

They look good, but I will not be baking cos I don't think I can accept savoury muffins :(. Tried baking some kochi cheese puff which is suppose to be very nice (from sun moulin) but we (the whole family) cannot really enjoy it. hehe.

Indrė said...

They look so cute!

Kimberly said...

So tiny and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

HALO,,
CAN I DON USED CORN MEAL,,AND USED ALL PURPOSE
FLOUR FOR THESE RECIPES,,THANKS
MEGAN--SG

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Megan, the texture may be affected as I am not sure whether the batter will be too dry or too wet if you do a 1 to 1 substitution.

DongLanh said...

I've tried to make these before and mine did not look anything like yours. Yours look beautiful. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to my blog and leave your comment. I am very happily. http://www.asiacookingrecipe.com

Bebs said...

This dog muffins looks really good. Must try them myself.
Just want to let you know that I have been reading your blogs since last year and it is one of my inspirations when I started my own blog. I wanted to add you on my blogroll if that is ok?..Thanks

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Bebs, thanks for reading my blog! Thanks for adding my blog to your blogroll, what an honor :):)

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi HHB, where did you get your Bob's Red Mill cornmeal? Thinking to make this over the weekend.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Amy, I got it from cold storage.

Aimei said...

hi hhb! not sure u still rem me. haha I am so happy you are still blogging.. I have intro my colleague to your blog and she say you are still up to date with blogging! I am guilty to say I read less of baking blogs now after I step into motherhood in dec 2012. now that my boy is 14months, I hope to explore more simple and healthy cooking in future. :)

Unknown said...

great ideas! i'll be using your blog for inspiration for mine, Chocolate or Cheese

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Aimei, of course I still remembers you :):)
Congrats and welcome to the mummies club! My best wishes to you and your family and your little one!

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi Happy Home Baking.
This is wonderful! My 2 teenage boys love it. My little nieces and nephew love it too, and they asked for more :D Going to make again.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Amy, I am so glad to know that your boys and the little ones like these :):)

Aimei said...

Thanks hhb! your boys must be quite big le hor? may u enjoy all the things u do!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Aimei, yes, both my boys are in secondary school already...I am getting very old liao!

Anonymous said...

Hi can I sub plain flour with cake flour?

Happy Homebaker said...

Yes you can do so.

teo ai li said...

Hi HHB, can I use a 12-hole muffin try for this? Thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

You can use the regular size muffin tray, but you would probably yield 6 muffins and you may need to bake slightly longer. hope this helps.