A good recipe is hard to come by.
Chocolate Sponge Cake
(makes one small 18cmx9cmx7cm loaf cake )
80g cake flour
20g cocoa powder (I used Valrhona cocoa powder)
3g baking powder
1g baking soda
2 large eggs, room temperature
90g caster sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
50ml vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
50g natural plain yoghurt, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 18cmx9cmx7cm loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside
- Sift cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, at least 3 times. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the batter triple in volume, thickens and leaves a ribbon-like trail when the paddle is lifted up. Takes about 5 mins. Turn to low speed, whisk for another 1 min (this is to stablise the air bubbles in the batter).
- Sift over the flour mixture into the batter in 3 separate additions. With each addition, use a spatula, gently Fold in the flour until well blended. Take care not to deflate the batter.
- Remove some batter into another mixing bowl. Add in oil, yoghurt and vanilla extra. Mix with spatula until well blended. Add this mixture to the egg and sugar batter. Fold gently with spatula until well blended.
- Pour finished batter to the prepared loaf pan. Tap the pan on work surface a few times to release any trapped air bubbles in the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 170degC for 25~30mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out fairly clean (do not over bake). Unmold and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.