Wednesday 6 June 2012

I don't get tired of muffins...

and I do find inspiration in them...

Whenever I miss the simple act of mixing flour, eggs, sugar and butter in a mixing bowl, the image of a tray of freshly baked muffins would jump out from behind the back of my mind. There is always a muffin recipe waiting for me to explore; and I have never seems to be short of any of the basic ingredients that is called for...be it flour, eggs, milk, sugar and vegetable oil. There is always a bag of left over chocolate chips, some left over dried fruits, walnuts, hidden somewhere in my fridge (^_^").

Oh yes, not forgetting the fact that I have one drawer full of paper muffin cups!


It took me just slightly over half an hour from reading the recipe to popping these muffins into the oven. I have adapted a cinnamon and nuts muffins recipe to turn it into a batch of Cinnamon, Walnuts and Chocolate Chips Muffins.  Before I was done washing up the mixing bowls, I could already smell cinnamon :)


Warm, freshly baked, homemade muffins are not only a nice treat for breakfast but also great for a casual tea time at home. These muffins are full flavour, certainly not a surprise as they are studded with all the walnuts, chocolate chips and cinnamon. The texture is a teeny weeny on the dry side...maybe they are made with milk only...I guess I am so used to the very moist muffins made with yoghurt.


I am so inspired by these lovely muffins that I think I have done a decent job in the composition of the above images. Of course, I must thank my cyberfriend VB for sending me the pretty muffin liners, gorgeous kitchen towels and the matching mug! I could almost imagine myself sitting inside a lovely little cafe at a little town in Provence, drinking tea and savouring muffins... ahem...delicate French desserts ;)





Cinnamon Walnuts and Chocolate Chips Muffins

Ingredients
(makes 9 regular size muffins)

140ml milk
80ml canola or corn oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
50g walnuts, coarsely chopped
50g mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract, until just combined.
  2. Sieve flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon into another mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt and stir to combine.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined (Note: stop stirring once the flour incorporates into the batter, but do check that there is no pockets of flour at the bottom of the bowl). 
  4. Reserve 1 tablespoon each of the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Gently stir in the rest of the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips into the batter. Do Not over mix the batter. The finished batter should appear thick and lumpy.
  5. Spoon batter into paper muffin cups, fill it to about 3/4 full.
  6. Sprinkle top with the reserved chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. 
  7. Bake in preheated oven at 200degC for about 20 - 25mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Recipe source: adapted from 我的幸福手作面包,李成实

36 comments:

Kimmy said...

Thanks HHB, I'm always watching out for muffins using oil instead of butter. Thanks for sharing. Me too have the bits and pieces in my kitchen to clear.

Anonymous said...

I can never get tired of muffins too! Don't know why, but those little dome shaped treats always appeals to me! Great job, loving your site:)

-Simply Bakes

Gayathri NG said...

Wow soft n moist looking muffins, simply superb...

Yummy Bakes said...

Nice photos capturing these muffins so beautifully - it makes me want to take a bite.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Me too! Me 3 me 4 haha

I love to make muffins and I certainly love eating them.

Yours look very good and I like the colourful setting.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I love everything in this post. Your muffins, the fabric that you used & also the cupcake liners! Very pretty! I have a habit of collecting cupcake liners & I just bought a pack today, similar to your stripe ones but my is in baby pink & white only!

PH said...

Mmmmm....I can smell your muffins from here :)

茵茵 said...

A healthier version of muffins! I like muffins too! The cup, kitchen towel and those muffin liners are simply lovely! Wish I own them too...
By the way, may I know what camera are you using? Your pictures look very nice.

Anazar said...

Wow, great flavour!!

martina said...

simply and lovely as only muffin can be... I miss baking some of them... as soon as I can I put on a batch, this one maybe :)

lovely colours in this post, as always
Martina

Anonymous said...

Do you think I can use yoghurt instead of milk to make this muffin?

Lx

Clare said...

Yum! I never, ever get tired of muffins! The world just does not feel right if I don't have the basic ingredients sitting there waiting for me :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, I usually use veg oil for muffins, save on extra step of melting the butter ;)

Simply Bakes, I feel the same about the domes :)

Thanks Gayathri!

Angel, I love baking and eating muffins too!

Jessie, my friend sent me the muffin liners from Hong Kong :):)

Phong Hong, I could smell your Ayam Golek too! Will be driving up to Kuantan for a short trip, hope to get a chance to try this dish!

Happy Homebaker said...

茵茵, I am using a point and shoot camera, a very old canon G3!

Thanks Anazar

Martina, hope you can get around to bake a batch of muffins too :)

Lx, sorry I am not too sure...you can replace the milk with yoghurt, but I do not know whether you can replace it with equal amount or to use less...

Joyce @ Chunky Cooky said...

I love simple put-together recipes too ! And your muffins liners are so pretty !!

BakingTray said...

I don't think I can get tired of making muffins either! there are just so many combinations and flavours you can make .. the list is endless! your muffins look so cute in those muffin liners ^^
oh and I also love making muffins because its all in one bowl - less washing XD

The Experimental Cook said...

Absolutely love those cups. And your photos as well!

Unknown said...

looks super tasty!
your styling and photogrphy are great..
will try soon and come back to tell!

Anonymous said...

These certainly sound like a treat to wake up to, especially with those gorgeous muffin liners!

melonpan said...

i love your side, how can i follow it? I can´t find the button

kimmy said...

HHB, baked this muffin yesterday. I liked the flavour and nutty texture, but must serve immediately or warm.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi melonpan, you will need to go to my HOME page, scroll down to look for the Follow Me button. Thank you for reading my blog :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, thanks for trying the recipe. Yes, the muffins are best served freshly baked or warm them in oven before serving.

melonpan said...

sorry i can´t find the button >.<
on home and than down? or on the right?

Jooolz said...

These look delicious! I can't wait to try making them. Where did you get your muffin cases from? They're gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

May I ask where do you purchase such pretty Muffins liners?

Thanks
Joan

Happy Homebaker said...

hi melonpan, sorry for the late reply as I was away. I have moved the Follow Me link to the very top of the right column. Hope you can locate it this time :):)

Joolz, Joan, my friend sent the muffin liners to me from Hong Kong.

melonpan said...

thank you^^ now i can folloe your blog :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB,

Your muffins really looks nice and i bet taste even better. I was just wondering whether you can give me some tips as my muffin does not come out as moist and is more on the dry side.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, I am sure what's the reason, did you over mix the batter? If not, maybe it could be the ingredient amount? too much flour? or you can try recipes that call for yoghurt, which helps to keep the muffins moist.

Chloe said...

Hi, I'm just curious what is the difference between baking powder and baking soda. I went to the supermarket wanting to get baking powder and I ended up being confused on what was on the shelves

Happy Homebaker said...

Chloe, they are different. You can read about it here:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html

Anonymous said...

Hi, I sooo tempted with you muffins. want to try out ur recipes.
For 140ml milk.. wat milk u using ya?

Thanks
Rina

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Rina, I used low fat fresh milk.

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB, can I cut the sugar to 70g..the texture of the muffin is it. Cakey type?
Thanks!
Emily

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Emily, these muffins are not cake like...but I am not sure whether it is ok to reduce the sugar amount...