Tuesday, 14 February 2012
|photo credit: photo taken with help from my sous chef cum ad-hoc photographic assistant holding the spoon as steadily as he could.|
This is a certainly a crowd pleaser, great as after dinner desserts when you have guests coming over since the fillings and crumble toppings can be prepared in advance. I am sure you will have guests going gaga over your homemade desserts :)
Apple and Blueberry Crumble
for the filling:
4 apples (I used 3 large China fuji apples)
60g caster sugar (original recipe calls for 80g)
1 tablespoon water
zest from 1 lemon (not called for in original recipe)
*some fresh blueberries
for the crumble:
60g cake flour
60g almond powder (grounded almond)
60g unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
40g caster sugar (original recipe calls for 60g)
35g walnuts, coarsely chopped
(*the blueberries are not cooked with the apple fillings)
for the filling
- Core the apples, cut into chunks.
- Place sugar and 1 tablespoon water into a pot. Leave it to boil on Medium-to-High heat. DO NOT stir the mixture. (Stirring will cause the mixture to thin out.)
- Leave the mixture to boil undisturbed (takes about a couple of minutes). Once it starts to brown or caramelize, swirl the pot a little to allow the mixture to brown evenly. Immediately add in the apples, stir to coat the apples with the syrup. (Note: the syrup mixture will be very hot, it will splatter when the apples are added especially if the apple chunks are not well drained. This is speaking from experience.)
- Allow the apples to cook on Medium-to-Low heat for about 5 mins, stir occasionally.
- Add in the lemon zest, continue to cook for another 5 mins or until the apples become fork tender and the mixture dries out. Remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
- Place flour, almond powder, sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the cold butter. With a fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs (or use fingertips to rub in the butter).
- Add in the chopped walnuts, toss to combine. (Note: leave to chill in fridge if not used immediately.)
- Preheat oven to 190degC.
- Fill ramekin or ovenproof dish to 3/4 full (portion is enough for 4 ramekins, size of ramekin: 3.5"). Add in a few fresh blueberries to each ramekin. Top with crumble mixture (I used about 2 tablespoons for each ramekins and there is still some leftover crumbles).
- Bake for 30mins or until the crumble is golden. (Note: the crumble toppings will expand upon baking)
- Leave to cool and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (Note: the apple fillings could still be piping, take care when serving to young children.)