Tuesday 8 March 2011

old-fashioned banana cake

I have always wanted to add a fluted tube pan or commonly known as bundt pan to my kitchen collection. However, my old oven seems too small for a 10" cake pan. Now, with a much bigger oven, I didn't wait too long to get my hands on one of those non-stick bundt pans when I dropped by a local baking supply store. There was only one sitting on the shelf, and I thought it must be waiting, all this while, for me ;)

No, it is not a Nordic Ware bundt pan...it is a much cheaper version. As you can see, the ridges on the finished cake is not as clear or distinct compared to those baked with a Nordic Ware pan. But, I am still very happy with it :)


A Bundt pan is a fluted (with indents and ridges) tube pan. The word Bundt is actually a registered trademark of Northland Aluminum Products Inc., the maker of Nordic Ware. Bundt is derived from the German word “bund,” which means “a gathering of people.” Hope over here if you are interested to know the story behind the bundt pan.

A bundt pan is great for making cakes that have got dense batters, eg coffee cakes. Just like a chiffon tube pan, the hole or the tube in the centre of a bundt pan promotes even baking. The fluted sides and ridges provide a greater surface area which produce cakes with more crust. With the attractive design, even for a cake decorating dummy like me, I am able to bake a lovely cake that I am proud to serve it to my guests. With only a light dusting of icing sugar, or a drizzle of icing or chocolate glaze, one can easily bring the already very pretty cake to even greater heights.


This old-fashioned banana cake is a basic cake that anyone can bake at home. I am sure it is also an all time favourite for many of us. Hoping to get a lighter texture, I replaced plain flour with cake flour and reduced the sugar amount slightly, I also sifted the flour twice, so as to incorporate as much air as possible to the batter. If you like a rich, dense and moist texture, then this is not the kind of cake you will like.


The finished cake is something I have aimed to achieve. The crumbs are soft, light and fluffy...not overly moist and yet not on the dry side...I could finish up two slices without feeling full or rather, guilty ;)


My late morning tea...a slice of banana cake with  a cup of 'latte'...my silly attempt at creating latte art, lolz. No, I don't have an espresso machine in my kitchen, just a simple battery operated whisk which I got as a gift, for frothing milk. As the picture couldn't speak for itself, I'll have to explain that I was actually trying to dust a heart on the milk foam...but it turn out like a lump of dirt (^^''') I will work harder on this.


I was blessed with a cool and nice morning today. The storm in the middle of the night has driven all the heat and I was greeted with clear blue sky. My quiet morning break by the window...all gone in 5 minutes. If not for my failed cup of latte, I felt as though I was enjoying a cuppa inside a cafe :)

I hope you had a great morning too...and not forgetting...

Happy 100th International Woman's Day to all of you!



Old-fashioned Banana Cake
Ingredients

150g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
150g caster sugar (I cut down to 120g)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3~4 medium size banana, mashed
4 tablespoons milk, room temperature
240g plain flour (I use cake flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt


Method:
  1. Grease and flour 10" fluted tube pan. Set aside.
  2. Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. With an electric whisk (medium speed) beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and olive oil and beat till the mixture turns pale, light and fluffy.
  4. Dribble in the eggs gradually and beat till incorporated in the batter.
  5. Add vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
  6. Add mashed banana, stir with a spatula to combine.
  7. Sieve over half of the flour mixture and add half of the milk. Fold the mixture with spatula until the flour is just incorporate into the batter. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and milk.
  8. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degC for 35~40 min or until golden brown or a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Unmold and let cool on a wire rack.
Recipe source: adapted from Food & Travel magazine

33 comments:

Bakericious said...

I love banana cake, this looks soft and moist, like what I love, yummy!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I am totally feeling your joy and enjoyment with the baking and eating of this cake. :) my first bundt cake pan was a no brand, and Walmart bought. It worked very well, so I guess it's alright so long as it's giving you the result you expect. :)

WendyinKK said...

It was a humid day here today :(
Mine is a no brand bundt pan too, my ridges look similiar with yours.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这次,我看中的是你家的咖啡,好想大口大口地喝:P

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I don't own a Bundt pan, look like i need to get one too. Banana cake is one of my favourite's cake, especially enjoy 1-2 slices with a cup of coffee or tea in a lazy afternoon, so enjoy!

j3ss kitch3n said...

beautiful cake! rustic feel thanks for sharing!

Jean said...

i've been trying to get a good aluminium bundt pan for ages. Phoon sells dark colored carbon ones which I'm not too keen in...any suggestions where I can get them?

And your cake looks delicious! good ol' traditional banana cake is never out of fashion :)

CaThY said...

Very pretty banana cake, it looks so yummy :)

The Experimental Cook said...

This makes me feel like making a cake now so that I can have it with my cuppa tomorrow in the balcony, if the birds don't fight with me for the crumbs !

And, yes, I did recognize a chocolate heart on your coffee. It isn't too bad :)

Edith said...

As long as the pan works for you, without brand is not important.

Banana cake - always lift up mood.

Happy Homebaker said...

Jean, I got mine from PH, those dark coloured ones ;) Maybe you can try places like ToTT, Pantry Magic, Shermey cooking school, but I have never been to these places, so I am really not sure whether they carry any bundt pans.

The Experimental Cook, thanks for the encouraging words. I don't have a balcony, but I sit by the side of the window on a raised platform for my morning cup of coffee, glad I don't have to fight with birds :)

Aimei said...

I have always wanted to buy a bundt pan but worried that I will only use it once in a while.. :P maybe will add to my new pantry for my new house? :P

Haa but I did t know a bundt pan has its history too. :)

lena said...

banana cake is definately an all time favourite for many..glad to see you're coming back!

sherlyn said...

First thing first. I really can tell that is a heart in the cup of latte. Really!
How did you do that? free hand? Can't be with a mould.
*sigh* your first one i also have not follow and you are now in the 2nd .. Let's see if i can get these two done in the school holiday.

Besides recipe and nice pictures, we still get to learn new things. Thank you.

The Sweetylicious said...

i love banana cake! yours look so soft and yummy! bundt pan is something new to me and i want to try it coz yours look lovely! ;D

Angie's Recipes said...

Your banana cake looks super delicious!

Unknown said...

I just tried this recipe this afternoon. Have been thinking of making banana cake. And I saw your post today.. what a coincidence! :)
It turned out beautifully... Perfect texture for me :)
Thanks a lot for sharing :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Aimei, I was also a little hesitant because I am afraid I may use it only occasionally, because the size of the finished cake is a little too big for my family. But I went ahead because the one I bought is less than $10.

lena, yes, I am slowly getting back to my baking momentum :)

Thanks Sherlyn! I used a DIY stencil...I simply cut a 'heart-shape hole' on a small piece of parchment paper, place it over the cup of coffee and sieve over some cocoa powder. actually this is not the second bake, I have also baked muffins and blueberry tray bake, I bake faster than I blog :)

The Sweetylicious, will keep a look out for your bundt cake :)

Thanks Angie!

Riedha, thanks for trying this out. I am happy to know that you like this cake too :):)

Alice said...

i love banana cake and i cant believe i havent tried to bake one - i shall try this - tq :P

Swee San said...

HI HHB, use a spouted metal jug to pour in the milk and jiggle it with ur wrist forward n backwords to create the "leaf" . For latte (more milk than foam), use a tall glass, and for a cappuccino (more foam than milk), use a cup / small mug :)

hanushi said...

I can understand perfectly: My oven also cant fit a 10" pan. Haha... You are making me hungry with your morning tea. :)

Anonymous said...

I could tell you were trying to make a heart shape too. Pretty good job! :)

ReeseKitchen said...

Mine also a no-brand bundt pan, and it works perfectly. I love banana cakes and so do my little girl, she loves bananas and always requested to buy one. Guess I have to go bake this for her..:)

Passionate About Baking said...

Very classic and tempting. The banana cake looks very nice. Actually sometimes, I find baking cakes in normal round or square pans can be very boring. With change, baking in bundt pans or smaller silicon trays really made a lot of difference! Your cake definitely looks very inviting! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Unknown said...

I find big bundt pan looks nicer, but now a bit too big for my family.... so the bundt pan is still waiting for me... hahaha

Blessed Homemaker said...

Coincidentally, I just baked a banana cake yesterday. It's my regular banana cake (very similar to yours but mine has a higher content of butter, by Yochana) but I added some cocoa powder and used buttermilk instead. The texture turned out really soft and fluffy.

However, your pictures turned out so much better than mine, esp with that cup of "latte" ;-)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Oh... I've got a silicon bundt cake pan sitting in my kitchen cabinet for years. Still don't feel comfy using a silicon bakeware, looking back, was wondering what made me buy that in the first place. Hahaha

Happy Homebaker said...

Alice, let me know after you have tried it, hope you will like it :)

Swee San, I have seen how the leaf or heart is being made on tv, but I think I will have to make hundred cups of coffee before I can even get anywhere close ;)

hanushi, I am sure someday you will be able to 'upgrade' to a bigger oven :) My old oven has served me well, and I am still keeping it :)

Thanks Anonymous!

ReeseKitchen, I hope you will like this banana cake :)

Jane, yes, I agreed with you, and a bundt cake will be good to bake and give away.

neyeeloh, it is a bit too big for my family too...so I can only make all time favourites so that I can share it with my other family members.

Blessed Homemaker, how clever, buttermilk will certainly make cakes soft and fluffy. I do not own any silicon bakeware, just like you, I don't feel 'safe' using it!

KWF said...

Hey, I was able to recognise your heart in the latte before you mention it. You pass. :)

Small Small Baker said...

Good for you, a new bundt pan in the kitchen! Hey, are you aware of the aspiring bakers event started by me? This month's theme is fruits, hosted by Jess of Bakericious. Hope you can submit this post to this event and be part of our family. :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks KWF :):)

SSB, I am planning to make something more 'fruity', will certainly submit it if it turns out well.

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! Will definitely be trying this out!

Интерьеры said...

Finally I've found a perfect recipe to use those brown bananas I never eat. The cake is wonderful! Thank you.