Wednesday 17 September 2008

For the Love of Matcha

Ever since I started my baking journey, I have developed the love for matcha. Recipes with matcha would always catch my attention. Even my elder boy has been influenced by me...he has been telling me for a long time that he would like to have a taste of Green Tea Mcflurry. He finally got to try it a week ago...it was a rare occasion that we dropped by the McDonald's after dinner on a weekday night...we were there just so that we could collect the latest Darth Vader figurine that came with the Happy meal! The cup of green tea ice cream didn't look appetizing at all...it was just vanilla ice cream served haphazardly with a generous heap of green tea powder. I told my kid, from now on, I can make him a homemade-version anytime ;)



Back to my baking...I made this batch of Matcha Buns following the dough recipe for these garlic buns. I added a teaspoon of matcha powder to the recipe and relied on my bread machine to do the kneading. I like the way the dough turned out...very smooth, elastic and non-sticky...which made shaping the doughs a breeze.


To add flavour, I wrapped some mini-chocolate chips in each bun. I would love to use adzuki beans, but I didn't have ready-made ones with me and I won't want to go through the hassle to make my own red bean paste, lazy me! I baked the buns in paper liners, unfortunately, they were one size too big!

Thanks to the wonders of icing sugar, with just a light dusting, the finished buns looked so much more appealing, don't you think so?





It is indeed a wonderful and yet simple bread recipe, the buns stayed soft even after 2 days. I could taste just a hint of matcha but the chocolate chips went well with it. Without doubt, this recipe is gonna be a keeper!


20 comments:

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi happy homebaker
Loved your site...interesting and have wonderful posts...good work and good show !

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. i wan i want... can i have some please... for the TEA-BREAK.... :p

Anonymous said...

HHB,

Once again, another winner - you have this ability to turn simple home bakes, to look like produces from fine bakeries. Oh, I am sure they taste yummy too.

Keep you posts coming, I am faithfull follower!

Anonymous said...

should i say more...u are simply wonderful....pls...if it's not much to ask can u pls share all of your recipes each time u have a new post?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Anamika, thanks for your kind words!

Ellena, you can have one :D

Thanks Skinnymum for being a frequent reader, thanks for your support and encouragments :)

Hi Anonymous, thanks! I do try to include the recipe for each new post. For this recipe, since I am using back the same recipe I have posted earlier, instead of listing down the recipe, I have provided the link in the post. You can click on the link for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I haven't cooked with Matcha yet, which is weird because I`m always in the Asian grocery and I love the taste. This recipe looks good, I love the combination of matcha and chocolate.

Anonymous said...

HI Happy Home Baker. Im a faithful follower of your blog and I love your pictures and the recipes. Ive tried some of them and they taste good! Keep it up!

Elin Chia said...

Hi HHB,

You are so creative...I can imagine how good the combination would be. Matcha and chips :) Will try it one of these days..heehee

I aso admire your photography skill . Good work :)))

regards,

Anonymous said...

HHB
I love your recipes but is there any other way I can copy your recipes other than manually typing it back and forth between your site and MSWord?

Thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Julie, would you be able to print the webpages that contain the recipe directly? or print it into adobe pdf format? If not, you can leave me your email address, I can send a copy of the recipe to you.

Anonymous said...

wow...you have McFlurry in green tea flavor? i want that too! :) your buns look great, of course! i want to make it right now...

jabberwocky said...

They look great! Do you think they would taste good with azuki paste?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Eliza, you just need to add green tea powder to a cup of soft vanilla ice cream to make your own green tea mcflurry :)

hi habberwocky, green tea goes very well with azuki paste. I have made a loaf of green tea with red bean paste bread previously.

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Homebaker

I don't bake nor cook, but I love reading your blog. The English is good and the comments are candid and trusting.

With best wishes

Sarah Jane said...

Whoa baby! Can your photos be anymore enticing? How lovely this all looks.

Anonymous said...

oh my God! they look so lovely!

My Family said...

Hi Bakingmum, thanks for the advice! Love reading your blog. Your pictures and easy recipes have inspired me to attempt baking again...Keep those recipes coming...don't stop. U are doing GREAT!

我以為是我 said...

OH OH I LOVE IT !!!

Desiree said...

I was wondering if you could send me the recipe? sotruelee@msn.com

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, the link to the recipe is as stated on this post above, just add 1 teaspoon of matcha powder.