Sunday 20 May 2007

Sweet Potato Bread

These Japanese sweet potatoes have beautiful purple/pinkish skins, although the insides are orange. They are sweet and moist. I would usually boil them and will eat them plain. They taste really good when piping hot!

I used these sweet potatoes to make a loaf of bread. I omitted the roll oats called for in the original recipe and substituted muscovado sugar with plain sugar. The loaf was easily made with my bread machine using the basic function.

The texture of the bread was a little dense and rather moist. The taste wasn't really fantastic, but neither was it too bad. I couldn't really taste any flavour from the sweet potatoes though.

I will not post the recipe here as I wasn't quite sure whether I got it right?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love sweet potatoes too, esp this type :D

Btw, i've bought the Bread Magic. Thanks for your recommendation! Have you tried using their recipe before? Reliable? Good?

Many thanks again!

Happy Homebaker said...

I have not tried the recipe from the cookbook yet, as I was very comfortable with the one that I have been making ;) I find the cookbook very useful as it has many step-by-step photos on shaping bread, good for novice bakers like me :)

Anonymous said...

i've seen those sweet potatoes in Japanese supermarket here...but when i made indonesian sweet dessert from it, i didn't think i liked it :D i think different sweet potatoes will yield different taste.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Eliza, yes, you are right, have to use diiferent type of sweet potatoes for different dishes :)