Thursday 10 May 2007

My First Korean Dish


I have finally cooked my first Korean dish...Kimchi Bokkumbap (stir fried Kimchi with rice).

I managed to squeeze some time to run down to Wisma Atrium to get kimchi from this eatery located within Food Republic. I find the kimchi very fresh and crunchy...so unlike those side dishes you get when you order Korean food from stalls at food courts. It doesn't have a sour taste to it, and it is very spicy! One box costs S$4.50...not really too expensive.

I followed the recipe from My Korean Kitchen, except that I didn't have bacon, and so I replaced it with chopped french beans. Since my boys can't really take spicy food, I dished out their portion just before adding in the kimchi. Besides kimchi, this is the first time I have used enoki mushrooms in a fried rice dish. This simple meal is really easy and very appetizing. My elder boy has requested that I should also cook his portion with kimchi the next time...he's slowly able to take spicy food...he could even take a few bites of the kimchi :)

I made some baked curry puff this morning...***sigh***...I didn't like the dough at all...it was so crumbly and I had a hard time trying to roll and fill it without breaking the dough into pieces! I like making curry puffs...more specifically, the crimping part...but I didn't like the idea of having to deep fry the puffs. So, I was very eager to try this recipe where the puffs can be baked instead. Too bad the dough was too crumbly, the curry puffs didn't look pleasing at all. My boy couldn't wait to taste it though (I wasn't even keen to try!)...and the verdict...he told me the crust tasted like the Pooh cookies, very buttery, and you would only know that you were eating a curry puff after you taste the potato filling. It will be unlikely that I will make these again :(


14 comments:

Mandy said...

kimchi! I am so deprived of that here :(
I agree that it's hard to find a good recipe for the curry puff "skin". That's why I haven't been making any of these yet. But yours look nice though.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi novice baker, I finally tasted the curry puff this morning...actually, the taste is not bad, as compared to the appearance! the crust is rather buttery, but goes well with the potato fillings :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, just dropping a line to tell you that the baked puffs are also not healthy cos the puff pastry has layers and layers of fat in them. I used to be a curry puff lover but after I learn how to make them, I realised that its definitely very bad for your arteries!! An occasional puff is alrite but not too many tho.
kind rgds, kay

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kay, thanks for dropping by :)
yes, I agree, all these bake stuff are really no good for health! I am trying to make more breads instead :b

Anonymous said...

Breads are not healthy too, especially if you use white flour. Best to avoid the 5 whites - flour, sugar, salt, vinegar and rice. Unrefined or wholemeal is best!

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy homebaker
I like your 'hokkaid milky loaf' very much. May I know What is the brand of the 'whipping cream' and where can i get it? with lot of thanks

cherry

Anonymous said...

my son couldn't eat spicy food either :) your fried rice looks very appetizing indeed!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Cherry, I used Bulla Thickened Cream, but others have used other brandds of Dairy whipping cream, and the results were as good. Hope this helps :)

lafillefolle said...

hello! i LOVE your site! i'm very keen on trying out some of your recipes (right now i can only bake butter cookies with my toaster oven :(). i'll be getting an oven soon, but am not very sure if the placement of the heating tube (usually V shaped or square) will affect my cakes. which oven are you using?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi lafillefolle,
I am using a Tefal oven, a small one juse 21L. Me too, I started my baking with simple bakes like cookies, muffins and once you gain enough experience, you could adventure into more difficult ones like layer cakes and breads :b

KWF said...

HHB, I just run through this old post of yours. You can try making your own Kimchi. This way you can control how spicy you want it to be.

Happy Homebaker said...

KWF, I read your post on Kimchi making :) However, I am really bad at cooking, so I doubt I'll ever have the confidence to try it out ;)

Wen-Chi said...

I just run across this.. there are a couple way to do the curry 'dumpling' as we used to call it. We use chopped/ground pork cooked dry w/ the curry mix. let cool. use pie dough as wrapper. egg wash, 375 F until golden. Then you are in business. It always a big hit when I make it.

FYI.. let me know you need a simple way to make pie crust! Chef's honor!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Sugar Temptress, thanks so much for sharing your experience :)