It's the time of the year again when I start to crave for holiday treats!
Here's my first Christmas bake, a batch of simple wholemeal banana cupcakes...easily prepared with just a few quick stir using a manual whisk and a spatula.
They are great as homemade Christmas gifts to share with friends and families.
The cake is moist, tender and has a little nutty texture from the wholemeal flour. It is chock full of delicious banana flavour, and despite cutting down on the sugar amount, the sweetness is just right.
I hope to be able to post a couple more of my Christmas bakes before I leave for my holidays. I will be spending this Christmas home away from home, and I wish we could get to make a snowman this year!
Banana Wholemeal Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
235g plain flour
75g wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
135g caster sugar
90g unsalted butter, melted
125ml fresh milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
315g over ripe banana, mashed
- In a bowl, stir together plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a balloon whisk until blended. Add in the caster sugar, melted butter, milk and vanilla extract, whisk to combine.
- Add in about 1/3 of the flour mixture. Stir with the balloon whisk till combined.
- Add in 1/2 of the mashed banana. Change to a spatula and fold in to combine.
- Add in 1/2 of the remaining flour mixture. Fold in with the spatula to combine.
- Add in the remaining mashed banana, fold in to combine.
- Finally, add in the remaining flour mixture and fold in to combine, make sure there is no residual flour on the bottom of the mixing bowl. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into paper muffin cups, fill it to about 90% full.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degC for 20 to 25 mins till golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in airtight container at room temperatures for 2-3 days.