I am on a baking spree since the beginning of the June school holidays, making cakes and cookies for my children to enjoy as they are spending more time at home.
This pork floss with seaweed and sesame cookies recipe is a breeze to prepare. The cookie dough is made using rubbing in method, there is no creaming or beating of butter required. The dough is easy to work with as it is not too soft nor sticky.
These savoury cookies turn out really well...light, crisp that taste buttery and very fragrant. It is a nice change to the usual chocolate chip butter cookies and are great as snacks to be enjoyed at anytime of the day.
Pork Floss and Sesame Seeds Cookies
(makes about 35 cookies)
260g plain flour
25g icing sugar
120g unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
3 tablespoons pork floss with seaweed
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sieve flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- With a fork (or use fingertips), cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in pork floss, sesame seeds and salt. Mix with hand to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the lightly beaten egg. Mix and gather the mixture to form a shaggy mass. Give it a few light kneading so that it comes together to form a smooth dough.
- Flatten the dough to form a disk. Wrap in cling wrap or a place it in a plastic bag and leave to chill in the fridge for about 30 mins. (If the dough is left in the fridge for too long, it will harden, if this happens, leave it in room temperature for a few mins until it is soft enough to roll out.)
- When ready, roll out dough to about 5m thick between 2 sheets of cut-out plastic bags (or use two sheets of parchment paper).
- Cut out cookie dough with cookie cutter and transfer to baking trays lined with parchment paper. Leave a space of about 1" in between each cookie dough. Gather up the scrape and re-roll to make more cookies.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degC for about 20-25 mins until the cookies turn light golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave on the baking trays for 2 ~ 3mins (to allow the cookies to firm up a little) before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in air tight container.