Wednesday 7 May 2014

Coconut Tarts 椰丝塔


With my recent success at baking some really nice egg tarts, I ventured further to try my hands at making Coconut Tarts.



For the coconut fillings, I followed the coconut tarts recipe from Angie's Recipes. Angie's comprehensive list of recipes was my first to go list when I started baking eight years ago :) As for the pastry crust, I am sticking to the 黑妈妈祖传蛋挞 egg tart recipe which I am now very familiar with.



I had problem removing the tarts from the moulds on my first two attempts at making egg tarts. Despite having greased the moulds before using, I had to use a spoon to knock the base of the moulds before the tarts could be released.

Thanks to Angel's kind advice and useful tip, on my 3rd attempt, I did not grease the moulds, and strange enough I could remove the tarts easily! I have always thought that greasing baking pans and moulds helps prevent bakes from sticking, but obviously it doesn't apply for those egg tarts. By the time I tried baking these coconut tarts, I could unmould the tarts almost effortlessly. I don't even need to knock or tap the moulds on the table top, simply invert the tart and I could lift up the mould easily.



Coconut tarts take longer to bake than egg tarts...which is great as the pastry crust will be nicely golden browned all over with the extra 15 minutes in the oven.



I really like the buttery and fragrant coconut fillings, in fact, I prefer these coconut tarts to egg tarts. However, not everyone in the family likes shredded coconuts, but it is not necessary and neither will I try to please everyone. The furthest I would go is, the next time I were to make these tarts, I will bake one batch of egg tarts and one batch of coconut tarts ;)


Coconut Tarts 椰丝塔

Ingredients:
(makes 10, tart mould size: 7cm diameter)

for the crust:
150g plain flour
1 tablespoon custard powder
1 tablespoon milk powder
100g butter, cold, cut into cubes
½ tablespoon caster sugar
½ large egg (about 25-30g), beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

for the coconut filling:
125g fresh grated coconut
40g unsalted butter, melted
40g caster sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons condensed milk
2 tablespoons water

Method:

for the coconut filling:

  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl, set aside.

for the crust:
  • Sieve flour, custard powder and milk powder into a mixing bowl. Place cold, diced butter into mixing bowl. With a fork or a dough scraper, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Add in sugar, mix well. Make a well in the centre and add beaten eggs and vanilla extract (if using). Mix with hand until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. (Note: do not over mix or knead the dough as it may cause gluten to develop and the crust may become tough and hard upon baking). Pat the dough into a round ball and flatten it to form a disc. Wrap with cling wrap and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins before use.
  • When ready to use, divide the dough into 10 portion (about 29~30g each). For each portion, roll dough into a ball, flatten to form a small disc and place into the tart mould. Press dough into the mould until the dough comes up to slightly above the rim. (Note: I hold the mould with both hands, then press the dough into the mould using my two thumbs while at the same time turning the mould with my other fingers in a clock wise direction, going round and round until the dough is evenly moulded to the tart mould.) Smooth the edges at the rim with fingertips to make it even.
  • Fill each tart with the coconut fillings to 90% full. Bake in middle rack in preheated oven at 180 degC for 30~35 mins or until golden. Leave to cool for about 5 mins. Remove from mould and leave to cool on wire rack (to unmould, simply invert the tart and lift up the mould). Any left overs can be stored in an airtight container, warm them in the oven and they will taste as good as freshly baked ones.
Recipe source: Angie's Recipes

17 comments:

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, this is something I love and wanted to do but never did. Coconut tarts used to be very cheap during my childhood days when we bought lots of it as gifts for our outstation relatives and friends whenever we go visiting. I used to buy for my colleagues in KL, too. Really nice and I must bookmark this to do. Thanks for sharing.

The Experimental Cook said...

My hubby will think he is the luckiest man if he ever eats fresh coconut tart at home. I still find tarts a bit intimidating to make. Hope to try this out soon.

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, if I were to use a small tart mould [3-4 cm], what you advise on the baking time? I'm thinking of making these for a group gathering.

sam.tew said...

I love coconut tarts! Yours look crispy outside n creamy inside. To do after exam....

Happy Homebaker said...

I grew up eating traditional kuih made with coconut milk or grated coconut, but sad to say the only stall at the wet market near my place that sells freshly grated coconuts and freshly squeezed coconut milk has closed down for good since last year :'(
Hope u have fun making these coconut tarts!

Happy Homebaker said...

You should give it a try, it is not as intimating as it looks. This recipe is quite dummy proof, if lousy baker like me can do it, I am sure you can do way better!

Happy Homebaker said...

I have not tried baking with small tart moulds, maybe it will only take about 20mins to bake. Do check at 15mins and every other 2mins. Have fun :)

Happy Homebaker said...

yes, it's exam period now...can't wait for it to be over so that my younger boy can clear his table which is now piled up with books, files and worksheets, so messy!
Do give this a try and hope it won't disappoint you :)

Tammy said...

Hi, I love coconut tarts especially the ones from hk here. As I couldn't get freshly grated coconut here unlike in Malaysia/ Singapore, could I use pre packed shredded coconut?

Cheers,
Tammy

Kimmy said...

Thanks for advice. Will try and let you know.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Tammy, are you referring to dried desiccated coconuts? You will probably need to use more liquid. Maybe you can try other recipes that use desiccated coconuts such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfXCef6NZk
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BC3gW6fHCY

Dolores Stephenson said...

When I saw your tarts they reminded me of "pastas de nata" Portuguese custard tarts. Yours look delicious and beautiful!

Sheila said...

Hi
I tried this recipe & turned out to be so nice. My family like it. Tks for sharing.

Best Wishes
Sheila

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Sheila, happy to know that these coconut tarts turned out well for you and your family :)

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, I try to bake these using small tart moulds next time. The crust is very crispy and buttery. Nice.

Christine Yong said...

Hi Happy Home Baker,

I tried out your recipe and it turned out perfectly. It is in my blog at:
http://theinformalchef.blogspot.com/2015/05/coconut-tartlets.html#more

Thanks and best wishes,
Christine@Theinformalchef

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks for sharing your baking experience :)