Sunday 23 March 2014

挞入我心



When I met up with fellow blogger pal Sherlyn to pass her some books which my children have outgrown, she was so kind to give me a batch of her freshly baked egg tarts. I was very touched and was totally intrigued by her cute mini egg tarts. You need a pair of very skilled hands to be able to bake something so exquisite and delectable! Her homemade goodies were so well received by my family that I was inspired to try my hands at making some myself.



I made my first batch of egg tarts using this popular egg tart recipe by heimama (黑妈妈祖传蛋挞). Many thanks to Angel of Cook.Bake.Love who shared her experience in baking those easy and delicious egg tarts in her blog post.



As I wasn't sure whether I would be successful in my first attempt at making the egg tarts,  I omitted the custard powder that is called for in making the crust. Nevertheless, my first batch of egg tarts were a breeze to make and they turned out to be really good. This prompted me to get a pack of custard powder right away since I know I would be making these egg tarts again and again! The custard powder did wonders to the texture of the pastry crust. The pastry was more crisp (酥) and gave a melt in the mouth texture to the already very buttery and flaky crust. So, do include the custard powder if you are interested to make these egg tarts, or at least, substitute it with corn flour.



Making and baking the tarts was easy...the only problem I had was unmolding. I had made sure the pastry was above the rim of the mould and took extra care not to fill the crust with too much custard filling. I had also greased all the moulds with butter and so I would expect the tarts to release easily simply by inverting them. To my surprise, the tarts were all stuck to the moulds.  I tried 'shaking' one of them, hoping the tart would fall off, but it refused to budge. The original recipe says to give the tart a gentle knock to release it, but it didn't work when I tried knocking it against the table top. Maybe I was too gentle as I have this fear of breaking the tart into pieces. In the end, I tried tapping the base of the tart mould with a spoon, and voila, the tart dropped off from the mould. Just a whack or two will do the trick, lol!  (Updated as at 29 March: As advised by Angel, I baked another batch of egg tarts without greasing the moulds. After baking and once cooled, I tapped the tart mould against the table top, then inverted it and the tart released from the mould easily.)



This recipe is certainly a keeper. It is very straight forward as there is no unnecessary steps to pre-bake the crust. The custard filling didn't bubble up too much or burst even without adjusting or lowering the oven temperature during baking. I wasn't sure how to test the doneness since there was no instructions on this. I followed this method of inserting a toothpick into the custard, if it stands on its own, it’s done. I had also baked the tarts for another minute longer so that the crusts were lightly browned on the rim. Compared to other egg tart recipes, this heimama egg tarts use a lot less sugar for the pastry crust. As such, do not expect the crust to turn golden browned upon baking.



The wobbly filling was not too sweet nor taste eggy. It had a smooth and silky texture just like what many other bloggers have raved about. They were close or rather, even better than store bought ones. My elder child who loves egg tarts devoured half the batch and still looked forward to more. With this good experience and knowledge I have gained from baking these egg tarts, I am more confident to try other egg tart recipes. Next on my to-do list will be coconut tarts, do give me your recommendations if you have tried any good coconut tarts recipe :)



Egg Tarts (黑妈妈祖传蛋挞)

Ingredients:
(makes 10, tart mould size: 7cm diameter)

for the crust:
150g plain flour
1 tablespoon custard powder
1 tablespoon milk powder
100g butter, cold, cut into cubes
½ tablespoon caster sugar
½ large egg (about 25-30g), beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

for the custard filling:
140g water
55g sugar (I used granulated sugar)
1½ large eggs, beaten
40g evaporated milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Method:

for the custard filling:
  • Boil water and sugar till sugar dissolved. Let cool completely. Add beaten egg, evaporated milk and vanilla extract and mix well. Sieve 3 times. Set aside.
for the crust:
  • Sieve flour, custard powder and milk powder into a mixing bowl. Place cold, diced butter into mixing bowl. With a fork or a dough scraper, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. 
  • Add in sugar, mix well. Make a well in the centre and add beaten eggs and vanilla extract (if using). Mix with hand until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. (Note: do not over mix or knead the dough as it may cause gluten to develop and the crust may become tough and hard upon baking). Pat the dough into a round ball and flatten it to form a disc (Wrap with cling wrap and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins before use. 
  • Lightly grease each tart mould with butter. (Updated as at 29 March '14, it is not necessary to grease the tart moulds).
  • When ready to use, divide the dough into 10 portion (about 29~30g each). For each portion, roll dough into a ball, flatten to form a small disc and place into the tart mould. Press dough into the mould until the dough comes up to slightly above the rim. (Note: I hold the mould with both hands, then press the dough into the mould using my two thumbs while at the same time turning the mould with my other fingers in a clock wise direction, going round and round until the dough is evenly moulded to the tart mould.) Smooth the edges at the rim with fingertips to make it even.
  • Fill each tart with the fillings to 80~90% full or till it comes just below the rim. Bake in middle rack in preheated oven at 180 degC for 20 mins. Leave to cool on cooling rack. To unmould,  invert the mould on your palm and tap the base of the mould with a spoon. The tart should release and drop onto your palm tap/knock the mould on table table for a few times, invert the mould on your palm and the tart should release and drop onto your palm. Place a paper liner on the base of the tart (optionally) and invert it back. 
  • Egg tarts are best freshly baked. Any left overs can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Warm them in the oven and they will taste as good as freshly baked ones. 
Recipe source: Cook.Bake.Love

51 comments:

The Experimental Cook said...

Lovely post - I am very encouraged to do this tart though. I wait for your coconut tart with bated breath. My hubs goes gaga when he sees one, so it is high on my to-do list!

Mommy said...

Hi HHB, I love egg tarts and also tried baking them few times before. But my previous experience had failed to produced the crust that last it's crunchiness the next day. It came out from the oven heavenly but the next day the crust became soft and fragile. May I know how's your turned out the next day? It is still remains as how it was when came out hot from the oven?

CY said...

Ooh these are one of the few dim sum items I MUST order! I've tried making them once but the pastry was horrible and the custard looked a little grey. Yours look restaurant quality!

Angie's Recipes said...

Haven't baked any custard tarts in a long while..these are perfect!

Happy Homebaker said...

You should be give it a try, it is not as difficult as it appears to be :)
I'll be keeping my finger crossed for the coconut tarts!

Happy Homebaker said...

I kept left over tarts in the fridge, then heat up in the oven the next day before serving, as such I do not know whether the crust would become soft and fragile. Maybe you can reheat the tarts before serving?

Happy Homebaker said...

CY, don't give up, I am sure yours will turn out fine in your next attempt :):)

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks Angie! Hope to see your egg tarts soon!

Yummy Bakes said...

Lovely egg tarts. It sure looks smooth and good.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Thanks for linking to my blog. Nice tarts you have there. I didn't even grease the mould but the egg tart came off easily. It is kind of weird. Can't think of the reason. May be next time try not to grease ?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Angel, thanks for the tip! I will try without greasing the moulds :)

Michelle said...

Hi HHB
May i ask what kind of milk powder did you use? I love flaky egg tart and tried 3 different recipes but failed. I hope the next round i make using your recipe, it will turn out well. :)

Happy Homebaker said...

I use my kids milk powder, Nestle's nespray full cream milk powder. All the best to your next attempt :)

Kimmy said...

I worry too much comes to making egg tart cos' I'm afraid the pastry and custard wouldn't turn out well. Looking at yours inspired me to try it soon. Very nice, bookmarked.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, I have the exact same sentiments previously. This recipe helps to boost my confidence, I am sure it will work well for you too :)

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi HHB

My tarts are always stuck on the mould. I have difficulty to unmould them. My kids couldn't wait and simply ate it from the mould. Hahaha!

I have tried a few recipes but it simply can't work for me. Till now I'm still not sure where had gone wrong... :(

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi HHB,
I have booked this and going to try out this recipe on this weekend!
Thanks for the tips!

sherlyn said...

Thanks for mentioning me, but my blog has been collecting dust since .. :-(.
I did not grease the tart mould at all and truly they will just come out with a slight knock. Sometimes the tart sticks to the mould, and I found that it is due the the leaking of the egg tart filling. As you know the filling are sugar laden, thus after baking the tart sticks to the mould. I just make sure I have a high wall and careful when I bring the trays into the oven (so that the filling will not spill over, even the slightest) and cause the shells to stick to mould.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Amy, Angel told me it is not necessary to grease the mold. I will update my blog after I try it. Hope this recipe works for you, all the best :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks for the tip, will try without greasing the moulds. Yes I did take care not to get the filling spill over into the mould leh...

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Amy, this evening, I baked another batch and this time I tried without greasing the moulds. I could unmould the tarts easily. Please refer to my revised recipe above. Hope yours turn out well too :)

Rosita Vargas said...

Ohh tartaletas de lujo muy delicioso,abrazos

alone said...

Hi, I just started to learn baking and would like to learn how to bake the egg tarts.

May I know how should I preheat the oven? At what temp and how long?

Happy Homebaker said...

Preheat at 180degC and depending on your oven, it may take at least 15 mins to preheat the oven until it reaches the recommended temp.

alone said...

Hi, the filling is still very liquid after I put into the oven for 20mins :( what should I do?

Happy Homebaker said...

You can extend the baking time bake for a few more mins until the custard is almost set.

teo ai li said...

Hi HHB, I baked these tarts on Saturday. The pastry was really buttery, crumbly and yet melt in the mouth. But I have one issue - the filling caved in and wrinkled up. Can you let me know what did I do wrong? The taste was great and my family zapped everything at one go! Thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi ai li, not sure whether it is due to your oven temp? Did the filling "ballooned" and puffed up during baking? and then collapsed and formed the wrinkles upon cooling? If yes then your oven temp could be too hot. Try bake at a lower temp or bake on a lower rack. Hope this helps :)

teo ai li said...

Hi HBB, yes the filling happened exactly what you described.....thanks for your help!

teo ai li said...

Hi HBB, would like to know if its ok for me to mould the pastry into the moulds and to leave the filling in a jug and leave both of them overnight in the fridge. I will pour the filling into the moulds and bake the next day.....Thanks!

Happy Homebaker said...

I think it should be ok. You will need to bring the pastry out from the fridge earlier...and also it may take a longer time to bake.

teo ai li said...

HBB, sorry one more question..........do you think I can use the shell pastry but with blueberry cheese filling? Will the filling be too heavy for the shell and break?

Happy Homebaker said...

Sorry I am not able to comment as I have not tried it before.

teo ai li said...

Its ok. Thanks!

Michelle said...

Hi HHB
Is granulated sugar the same with fine sugar?

Thank you.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Michelle, yes it is the same, you can even use coarse sugar since the boiling will melt the sugar easily. However, for the pastry crust, do use caster sugar which is more fine than fine sugar.

Unknown said...

Hi HHB:)

1½ large eggs means 2 egg whites and a yolk or 2 yolks and a white???
Thank you and have a nice day^^

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, beat 2 large whole eggs together then measure 1.5 portion for the filling and 0.5 portion for the crust. 1½ large eggs is about 90-100g or you can use 2 medium size eggs.

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, I baked this and the coconut tarts at the same time. They turned out well and good. My tarts can be easily dislodge just by inverting the mould. I like the crust very much and hope to bake tarts with other fillings. Thanks for sharing this lovely workable recipe.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, glad to hear that your tarts turn out well. Hope you have fun trying out other recipes :) I hope to get around making some pumpkin tarts ;p

Anonymous said...

Where can I get the moulds?

Bebe

Happy Homebaker said...

from Phoon huat

Baking Scientist said...

Hi HHB,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe :) I never thought I could make egg tart :p Yours really look very professional. I managed to bake these today but mine don't look as pretty as yours :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The egg tarts look really good. If I do not have milk powder, what can I substitute it with?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, I have not tried it, but I think there's no problem replacing is with flour instead.

Anonymous said...

Hello HHB, just wanted to say thank you for your egg tart recipe. I used your 挞入我心 egg tart recipe yesterday. I offered egg tarts to my sister's workers and all of them gave the thumbs-up! I can see the egg tarts really have touched their hearts! Very delicious! Egg tarts also delighted my 'ang moh' neighbour's heart after he ate two.

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Priscilla, thanks for your kind comments and sharing :) I am sure it is because you have put in your heart to make these egg tarts that they are so well received by your friends :)

rainbowzstarz said...

Hi
can i omit milk.powder? And replace evaporated milk with fresh milk?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi rainbowzstarz, you can omit the milk powder and replace with flour. However, I can't comment on using fresh milk as the flavour of the custard may be affected.

Anonymous said...

Hi, if i do not have custard powder, how should I adjust the portion of ingredients? Thank you

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, as mentioned in the post, you can use corn flour but the texture is slightly different.