Friday 21 September 2012

weeknight special


A medley of colour...ready to pop into the oven...

25 minutes later...

dinner was ready...



our weeknight special...roasted seabass with potatoes, tomatoes, celery, rosemary, garlics, lemon,  olive oil, salt and pepper...

I can't believe I am actually capable enough to pull together a dish like this!

Well, since there is no real cooking involved...even a lousy cook like me could prepare this meal without feeling intimidated ;)


My kitchen was filled with the lovely aroma of rosemary while the fish was cooking in the oven. I love rosemary! The fish didn't taste dry even though it was cooked uncovered. It tasted just like steamed fish.

It's the first time I have eaten roasted fish with potatoes...somehow I feel that the potatoes are a bit out of place here...maybe because I am so used to roasted chicken and potatoes. I probably need a bit of getting used to such combo. The tomatoes and celery went well with the fish though. I do not know the origin of this dish, but it reminds me of Mediterranean cuisine. It is a very healthy, nutritious meal (to me)...there is fish and lots of roasted vegetables, the dish is light as it is seasoned with only salt and pepper. This is something I will 'cook' again and again...


Roasted Seabass with Potatoes & Tomatoes

Ingredients:

2~3 floury potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 fresh sea bass, gutted and cleaned
4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
8 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 lemon, slice 1/2 of the lemon, reserve the other half
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
8 ~ 10 cherry tomatoes
sea salt
freshly grounded black pepper
olive oil


Method:

- Preheat oven to 220 degC.
- Put potatoes into a pot of water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make a few diagonal slashes on the flesh of the fish. Rub the fish with a mild seasoning of salt, pepper and olive oil. Place some rosemary sprigs, some garlic cloves, 1 to 2 lemon slices inside the cavity of the fish.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with olive oil (or use a roasting pan lined with baking paper). Place some celery, rosemary sprigs, garlic cloves in the dish and lay the fish on top of the vegetables. Place the par-boiled potatoes, cherry tomatoes, remaining garlic, celery, rosemary sprigs and lemon slices around the fish. Sprinkle sea salt, freshly grounded black pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast for about 25 ~ 30mins until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with a squeeze of the remaining half lemon along with the roasted vegetables.

Recipe source: adapted from Food and Travel magazine


19 comments:

PH said...

As simple and colorful dish. I think the potatoes are a nice addition. Love this!

mj said...

You are way too modest hhb! Let the domestic goddess in you out ! 😉

SINGAPORE said...

We eat by colours and this def brings on appetite.

Alice said...

another way of cooking fish, yeay! thks!

The Experimental Cook said...

The color makes the dish mouthwatering. Did you have it with rice ?

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I remember I have seen a baked fish recipe with potatos.

Nothing is impossible in our kitchen and little oven. :P

Happy Homebaker said...

Phong Hong, I think maybe the potatoes is to make it a dish on it's on...I love potatoes so I don't mind :)

mj, you 'see me to up', haha! The only domestic goddess I know is my mum...from cooking to sewing to baking, on top of bringing up eight children.

Hi, this certainly is a treat for both the eyes and the tastebuds!

ALice, when I first saw this recipe from the magazine, I had the exact same feeling as you =)

The Experimental Cook, yes, I serve it with white/brown rice...together with another korean style stir fry sliced pork dish...odd combo right?! haha!

Angel, I think you probably saw it from the same magazine ;) I like meals prepared with oven, less fumes = less cleaning up!




Angelic Heart~ said...

Love the presentation of the dish that cause me mouth watering!
Easy to prepare yet delicious.

Unknown said...

awesome dinner! I love fish, your dish looks delicious!

Orchidea said...

Nice recipe, I love seabass cooked in the oven... so nice and colorful!
Ciao.

Sashy said...

its look so delicious and healthy , I will try this recipe for weekend :) Thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will do it for dinner. By the way, do you use any oven cleaner to clean your oven ?

Ying

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Ying, no, I dont use any oven cleaner...I use normal dish detergent.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for the reply !

Ying

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Is me again. Would like to share with you about Roasted Seabass. You can try using Pandang leave (to lay the pan, so that the fish will not stick), Lemongrass, garlic, chilli, ginger sea salt & small onion to roast seabass.. This will be more South East Asia.

Ying

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Ying, thanks for sharing your recipe, hope to try it one day!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add garlic! Used orange instead of lemon and added white wine.

Shaine

Unknown said...

wow....how can you make such yummy fish!!!!!!!

plasma cutters

Rine said...

Looks yummy. Thanks for sharing your recipe. :))