Sunday 12 August 2012

butterflied roast chicken

I first saw this honey sesame roast chicken over at Min's blog, and was reminded again when I hopped over to Jessie's blog a couple of days ago. The recipe came so timely, as I had planned to roast a chicken over the long weekend =)


I have no intention to post this up as I knew I would have problem taking photos in the evening. When I was plating the dish, my elder son came over to ask whether he could take a picture of the roast chicken. He told me he could adjust the camera settings to compensate the poor lighting, and so I gladly hand over the role of photographer. His brother was happy to be his assistant, trying his best to bounce some light to the subject from his touch light to my baking tray (^^") I didn't expect anything decent since we do not have any external flash and it was already very dark. Fortunately, the picture quality was good enough for me to post his photos here, at least no one would mistake the chicken for something else ;)


I butterflied (or spatchcock) the chicken before roasting hoping that the chicken would brown evenly. Yet, some parts tend to brown faster so I had to cover it with foil to prevent it from getting burnt. I roasted it for close to an hour, turning it over in between and basting it with the marinate before returning to the oven.


The original recipe calls for honey, but I replaced it with maple syrup since I did not have any honey on hand. Nevertheless, the roast chicken still tasted as good as I had expected or imagined, it was tender and juicy. I had it with rice while the rest were having a good time wrapping up the chicken meat with tortilla wraps. The roasted vegetables were really good, especially the roasted sweet potatoes and onions! I would gladly eat the veggies even without any chicken. There is no doubt about it...this is going to be a regular visitor on our table. Thanks to Min and Jessie for sharing their wonderful recipes!


16 comments:

PH said...

So delicious! I want to make this next weekend.

Edith said...

a yummilious dinner. and your son is a pro!

Bakericious said...

HHB, your son is a good photographer leh!

happy-bowl said...

that looks so yummy....

Extra Virgin Chef said...

Hi I'm new here. Lots to learn from your blog!

Agnes CF Lee said...

The pictures look fantastic. The last picture with the wordings just look the cover of the recipe book in the bookstore.

Anonymous said...

Hi HHB! Your son totally has the potential of becoming the next top photographer! haha, great job on the chicken i just loove the roasted veggies:D

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi girl, what a delicious dish served on the table! You are so clever as you butterflied the chicken. I don't have patience to roast a whole chicken, so I use maryland, hahaha~ Yes, certainly agree that love love love the roasted vegetables, esp the onions. You can try the Dutch carrots in the future as they are as sweet as the sweet potatoes. And must not forget to mention that you have 2 good helpers to take the photos. The children so much smarter than us!

manis said...

yummy... ayamnya bikin lapar.

What's Baking?? said...

A clear perfect snap. Lucky for us your son volunteered to be your photographer..great recipe. I've nominated you to receive an award..check it out in my blog. You have a lovely blog and you deserve it.

Jaques said...

Hi HHB, bn ur silent reading for a while. I hv bn using your recipe w success since I first started baking. I like how u r so no frill n down to earth w your bakes n stuff. I hv used your brownie , strawberry shortcake , ice cream cake recipes. I really want to thank u for being an inspiration to me.
Btw , like to ask u abt this recipe . If I want to roast a whole chicken like u, do I double the recipe? Thanks in advance ;);)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, What's Baking, thanks for nominating the award :):)

Hi Jaques, thanks for reading my blog. I didnt double the recipe, followed the same ingredient amount. Hope this helps :)

hanushi said...

Love the lightly burnt chicken top. :) Your son photography skill is v good and pro.

Dave Norman said...

Wow, looks so rustic and delicious!

Bakery Online Shop said...

It looks so delicious. I am sure it tastes even better then what its currently looking like in the picture. Thanks for this great recipe.

Lala said...

This looks lovely! I'm inspired to make this for my christmas party =)