Monday, 9 July 2012
Care for a slice of cake? Anyone?
Lavender Pound Cake
(makes one 17cmx7cmx6cm loaf cake)
90g cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
30g ground almond
100g caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon dried lavender
some apricot jam (I omitted this)
- Spread ground almond on a baking tray. Toast in oven at 100 degC for about 10mins. Give it a stir in between to ensure even toasting. Leave to cool completely.
- Line 17cm x 7cm x 6cm loaf pan with parchment paper (base and all sides). Set aside.
- Sieve cake flour, baking powder together, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric whisk until mixture turns light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg yolk, beat well. Add 1 egg white in 3 separate additions (or dribble in gradually), beat well after each addition. Repeat the same with the second egg yolk followed by the egg white also in 3 separate additions, beat well after each addition (Note: this method of adding in the eggs helps prevent the batter from curdling.)
- Add the ground almond, fold with a spatula until just combined.
- Sieve over the flour mixture in 3 separate additions, each time fold with spatula until just combined.
- Add dried lavender, fold to combine.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degC for 10mins. Remove from oven. With a knife, make a slit lengthwise along the centre of the cake (this is to ensure the cake produce a nice crack upon baking). Continue to bake for another 30~35mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Unmould, transfer to wire rack, leave to cool. Brush top with apricot jam if using.