Wednesday 5 September 2007

Rocky Road

While I was looking through a yogurt cake recipe, my son came over to tell me that he'll love to have some brownies. Oh well, since he has asked for it, I'll rather bake something which the kids would eat, otherwise I may end up having to finish up whatever reminding bakes I made.

After scanning through a few brownies recipes, I still couldn't find a suitable one. Finally, I decided to use the same Nuts and Chocolate Chips brownies recipe that I've tried a few weeks back. This time round, I added walnuts to the batter, and used some marshmallows and chocolate chips as toppings and turned it into a Rocky Road brownies.



As you can see from the photo, the brownies didn't turn out that well. It's all due to my oversight :'( After turning down the oven temperature to 140 degC to toast the walnuts, I have forgotten to turn it up to 180 degC. Yes, I baked the brownies at 140 degC for 25 mins and merrily took it out and covered it with the toppings. It was only after 10mins later, I noticed that it shouldn't take sooo long for the marshmallows to brown...and it was only then that I realised the oven temperature was not right! So, by 'instinct', I turned up the temperature and within a couple of mins, there was smoke coming out from the oven! The marshmallows were almost burnt! I quickly removed the pan and covered it with foil and let it bake for another 15mins.


As a result, the brownies was a little under baked. The centre was soft and fudgy. Luckily, it still tasted quite good, and the kids love it, even my husband was all thumbs-up. My niece who came over to play had also asked for second helpings. The marshmallow topping was indeed very delicious...the texture was rather chewy, reminds me of mozzarella cheese...yum!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though the brownies didn't get cooked quite right, they still look like they'd taste delicious. Maybe with ice cream.....

Happy Homebaker said...

hi Lynn, thanks for the sweet comment :) Yes, it tasted really good with ice cream :D

Ning's Mummy said...

I love these pictures! Looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the horror a person should have at least once in their life in the journey to the perfect brownie!

A few years ago, I was crazy in the quest to finding "my" perfect one. (translate: what i deem perfect :p)

I was also new to baking at that time, and imagine the spirit, all in freshness and cluelessness.

Well, I won't cough up the details, but it involves a burnt tupperware, hot-as-hell melted sugar, and kitchen disaster *laughs*

Eddel29 said...

wow, best rocky road ever!!

Charenn C. said...

yummy rocky road!

Charley said...

so yummy post!