Friday 1 June 2007

Simple Meals

As a stay-at-home-mum, one the most challenging tasks to me is to prepare healthy and delicious meals for the family each day. Since I am not a good cook, dishes have to be simple enough for me to handle, and not too time consuming to prepare. Fortunately, my love ones are not picky eaters, they will eat whatever that are served on their plates. On the other hand, with them being so forgiving, my cooking skill never seems to improve ;)

The usual lunch dishes that I came up with do not go beyond fish porridge, chicken porridge, minced pork porridge, fried noodles, noodle soups, macaroni soup and simple pasta dishes.

One of their favourite dishes is pasta in creamy sauce. I have tried cooking pasta with store-bought sauces and homemade sauces. So far, I could only say that they were just edible, taste wise, I have yet to make a good pasta dish :(


Made baked macaroni for lunch today. As I was short of time, I prepared it with canned mushroom soup. I simply boiled some macaroni...stir-fried fresh shiitake mushrooms with garlic, and added some sliced chicken franks. The canned soup was then heated up before all the ingredients were mixed together and placed in a dish. I topped it with some cheese and baked until the cheese turned golden brown.


Well, it wasn't really a very healthy dish as canned soups and chicken franks are relatively high in sodium. The only healthy ingredients to "compensate" the dish were the fresh mushrooms and cheese. Healthy eating aside, the three of us polished off the food in no time :)

2 comments:

Joy said...

Hello, what would you suggest if we don't use canned soups? How can we make the cream on our own so as to be healthier?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Joy, I have since been cooking this dish using dairy cream...similar to the one posted under 'Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice'. There are many recipes availabe in the internet that use cream instead of canned soup. Hope you can find a suitable one :)